There are some days where you just can’t make that few hours’ trek to the mountains, so instead you make the best of your surroundings. For us, Mt. Agamenticus is our silver lining!
This nearly 700-foot hill of rock used to be a small ski area known as Big A… Probably because nobody could remember the real name, Mt Agamenticus. In fact, remnants of the old ski lift and T-bar still remain.
When it comes to spending time outdoors, it’s not necessary to plan days-long, logistically-heavy trips—adventure can often be found right in your own backyard. In just a few hours, we made breakfast at the car and explored our local trails on Big A, which (if you’re feeling ambitious) could all be done before work!
With our Good To-Go meal, all we needed to do was add boiling water. We opted to step it up a little by scrambling some eggs and slapping it on a tortilla to make it hand-held. Pretty fancy, huh?
If minimal effort for a dang good meal interests you, check out the recipe below!
Cuban Rice Bowl Breakfast Burrito
Single-serving, feeds one / Multiply ingredients by two for double-serving entrée
Some food for thought:
- While breakfast is in the name, this meal can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Ideal for car camping, day trips, or an easy lunch at the office. For extended travel, skip the egg and just wrap it in a tortilla!
- Your typical tortilla adds roughly 300 calories (give or take for the size), which is an easy way to add a substantial amount of energy to any meal. They are also shelf-stable making them ideal for hiking.
- This recipe can also be prepared without the tortilla, in which case you could scramble your eggs and add them straight to the pouch.
- 1 Good To-Go Cuban Rice Bowl, single-serving
- 2 eggs
- 1 12” flour tortilla
- Prepare Good To-Go Cuban Rice Bowl, referring to the steps on the back of the package
- While the meal is rehydrating, scramble the eggs:
- In a small pan or skillet, over medium-low heat, add a small amount of olive oil or butter
- Crack both eggs into the pan and stir, making sure eggs don’t stick, cook until eggs are fluffy and are no longer runny
- Once the meal is rehydrated, place some of the Cuban Rice Bowl into a tortilla
- Top with scrambled eggs and roll it up, burrito style! Enjoy!
With full bellies we happily walked the trails and took in the views of the White Mountains and Atlantic Ocean. The experience could only be elevated by the presence of a dog, but for now we will continue to speak in odd voices to the pups of strangers that pass us by.
The point is peeps, don’t limit yourself by waiting for weekends or PTO to plan your outings. Keep it simple and look closer to home!
Story by: Amy Vallance
Photos by: Justin Hagen